Why Another Sewing Tutorial?
Sewing tutorials are in great demand these days: Here are some facts:
- Once you learn how to sew, you will be able to save money in your family budget.
- Sewing is relaxing.
- You will find great satisfaction in crafting things with your hands (this is not me. Just a photo found around the web. Author: Aine D.)
- Sewing is cheap. Thread, fabric, needles, etc. are all very inexpensive.
- For these reasons, sewing is becoming increasingly popular. In 2009, sewing machines increased in sales by 50 to 190 %, with peaks of 500% for some models (source: www.dailymail.co.uk)
(I love dotted lists. They make explaining things so easy).
Who Am I?
Oh, I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Lucia, I am a professional Italian seamstress and I hope that my site sewing tutorial .net will be helpful for you.
My Free Sewing Tutorial
Now for the obvious part: to learn sewing, you will need a sewing machine. This one is amazing, but I recommend a more recent model.
[photo by XcBiker]
Really, there is no need to get scared here. After all, you already own one, don’t you? If you do not own a sewing machine, perhaps you could borrow one from a friend.
Optional: a good sewing table could help you to keep things organized; thus, giving you an unique place to work and store all your sewing supplies.
[photo by Thomas Gozdziewicz]
To see various tables and machine models, you can take a peek at the world’s largest on-line store, amazon.com:
Sewing Practice: Sew Some Pillows
To put all of this in practice, you will find easy, detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to sew something. Just to start, we will make some decorative pillows. Pillows are an easy project to begin your sewing experience. Just think about it, how difficult can it be to sew a simple pillow? Once you learn the basics, your decorative pillows will add some color to your house. Then, you will find other fun and useful projects. Two examples:
- Decorative pillows do not have to be “just” decorative. For example, do you need more drawer storage in your home? Just recycle some old jeans to make a throw pillow with pockets (coming soon).
- Do you know someone who is going to get married? A wedding ring pillow, made with your hands, can be a great personal gift (coming soon too).
I am also thinking about an article about a no-sew pillow that can be done without sewing. This would be a great project to do with your kids. They may even try to make their own. It could be a great activity to do on a rainy day at home. This project would also give you a break from your sewing machine.
This is the end of our chat for now. Thank you for reading. Take a wander around sewing tutorial .net and feel free to leave comments.